Orchard Valley Farms uses an Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach. With IPM we have many pest management tools in our tool box.
- Use insect mating disruption.
- Monitor pest populations by observation and traps.
- Use pest resistant root stalks.
- Learn to tolerate small amounts of pest damage.
- Use organic chemicals when appropriate as well as soft chemicals.
- Raise a cover crop between rows to discourage insects from attacking the vines, trees and fruit.
- Understand the life cycle of pests to know the best time to use control measures when the insect is most susceptible.